While marketing and sales demonstrate a direct link to revenue, companies should not downplay the benefits of effective communication and its impact on business success. Communication contributes significantly to internal efforts with team members that directly affect customer relationships—and therefore, the company’s bottom line.
8 benefits of effective communication
How to make workplace communications more effective
Set up an online communication plan
In today’s digital world, businesses are highly dynamic, and technology changes constantly. Both managers and team members alike are probably unaware of every communication vehicle available to them at any given time. They might then unnecessarily waste valuable work time researching and identifying communication methods already implemented and accessible companywide.
Businesses might look to combat this needless time sink by developing and sharing an internal communication plan that provides team members with a list of currently available communication vehicles and guidance on using them.
Companies might view this plan as a central information hub for project communication strategy. Team members should be able to reference this information to answer questions such as the following:
- What is the purpose of each channel?
- What channel do I use to communicate with colleagues in other departments?
- When should we interact in person as opposed to via a communication vehicle?
- Who is this project’s manager?
- What is the make-up of the project team?
- How are essential project details being communicated?
Incorporate communication tools
Communication in the workplace has progressed significantly with recent changes in technology, leading to new standards of workplace interactions. These advancements have led to new ways to enhance communication.
Three examples are as follows:
- Video conferencing tools. Video conferencing tools offer a means for team members to meet remotely to discuss upcoming projects, weekly tasks and share relevant updates. These tools also provide a solution for engaging customers (and potential customers) who cannot meet in person. Video conference tools are incredibly user-friendly. The meeting coordinator can set up a video call by scheduling a meeting time and sharing an online link with attendees.
- Internal messaging/chat. Private and group messaging applications are often more efficient than emails and can be perfect business communication tools to keep teams working together. Instant messages and chats simulate real-time, face-face conversations by providing live interaction.
- Discussion forums. A discussion platform that encourages leaders, managers, and peers to discuss any problem openly and honestly. Internal growth and community require knowledge sharing in the workplace. Veteran personnel may help new employees learn their way around a company, allowing them to get up to speed quickly and with fewer mistakes. At the same time, a digital workspace where employees can ask questions, debate projects, and address workplace difficulties serve to bring the entire firm closer together.
- AI writing assistance tools. The primary goal of AI business writing assistants, such as Grammarly Business, is to aid all team members in producing high-quality communications, and more efficiently than they otherwise would. Not everyone is a professional writer, but effective communication is essential for most professions. Writing tools can help those workers draft clear and concise content in short periods that coworkers can easily understand.
Effective communication is critical
Communication is a part of everyday work life, and it is critical to recognize its importance and influence on relationships between team members and between companies and their customers.
To get Grammarly Business and begin realizing the benefits of effective communication, reach out to us anytime. Our team of experts can help you (and your employees) get set up in just a matter of minutes.