“Every act of communication is a miracle of translation,” as author Ken Liu so eloquently put it. Even between people who speak the same primary language, important details can get lost in translation from what you mean to say vs. the message you actually convey.
This lesson is especially applicable to companies, which rely significantly on productive collaboration between team members. Collaboration is only possible through clear communication. How do you ensure your team members have what they need to communicate and collaborate successfully?
Having access to the right business writing tools can make all the difference.
Meet your goals with Grammarly Business
The best business writing tools for success
A lot goes into crafting clear, effective messaging. Structure, formatting, word choice, tone, and presentation all play a role in determining the efficacy of external communications.
At the same time, people are just that—people. We’re creative, intuitive, and sometimes downright ingenious, but we are also prone to making mistakes now and again.
You can stay ahead of the curve and set your team up for success from the start by providing tools that can help them not only catch and quickly revise mistakes but also learn from them.
Below is a list of the top twelve business writing tools. It includes proactive tools that can streamline the drafting process as well as review tools for polishing finished drafts to perfection.
These products are well-established as reliable and straightforward tools and resources. They were chosen based on ease of use as well as the quality of the feedback they provide.
Before Writing Begins
1 Collaborative writing tools
- Allow team members to easily share notes and drafts online.
- Suggest revisions or edit formal documents in real-time.
- Facilitate collaboration and increase productivity.
2 Planning tools
- Organize complex ideas ahead of time for presentations, white papers, etc. to ensure clarity and a logical flow.
- Illustrate points by including charts within papers or during presentations for greater impact.
3 Information-organizing tools
- Keep track of multiple sources and topics for research-heavy projects with ease.
- Streamline the drafting process and easily refer back to research during revisions.
4 Template tools
- Ensure formal documents are presented professionally with proper formatting.
- Increase readability and engagement using clear visual organization.
5 Dictation tools
- Allow team members who communicate better verbally to “write” their first draft out loud and edit afterward.
- Automate note-taking during meetings or presentations.
6 Internal style guides
- Improve consistency and professionalism across external brand communications.
- Provide clear guidelines for internal etiquette.
- Promote healthy workplace culture (and, by extension, employee retention rates) by encouraging a positive overall tone.
After Draft Completion
7 Proofreading tools
- Minimize mistakes that are easily overlooked using automation or third-party support.
- Prevent miscommunications and promote professional correspondence.
- Check for alignment with unique internal rules and guidelines established in your brand style guide.
8 Anti-plagiarism tools
- Ensure originality and prevent costly legal complications.
- Establish and maintain authority and trustworthiness.
9 Readability-rating tools
- Help team members craft a well-balanced piece.
- Ensure communications aren’t too advanced nor too elementary, based on the intended audience.
- Improve engagement with clearer, more targeted messaging.
10 Jargon-assessment tools
- Check for and identify terms and phrases that might require rewording, depending on the intended audience’s familiarity with a subject.
- Improve ease of reading and accessibility in cases where the message may be shared with a broad audience.
11 Reverse dictionary tools
- Help employees improve their precision of language and overcome mental blocks by searching for words by their meanings.
12 Tone-assessment tools
- Evaluate sentence structure and word choice to determine the tone of a piece and revise as necessary.
- Align tone with internal guidelines for a more cohesive brand identity.
Implementing just one of the tools listed above can significantly improve your team’s written communications. The more of these tools your team can leverage, the better the results will be. However, the best option is to find a solution that offers both multifunctionality and integration capabilities.
Paving the way to clear, effective business communication
Grammarly Business is designed to integrate seamlessly with various browsers, platforms, and applications to maximize efficiency. It is also a feature-rich option that combines many of the tools listed above into a single, user-friendly platform. Proofreading, tone analysis, a customizable style guide, and readability scores are all included within one comprehensive solution.
Grammarly Business is a leading communication assistant when considering business writing tools to implement and begin using within minutes, generating value in both time saved and knowledge shared, and translating to greater business goals.