Effective way to check grammar and APA citation and formating
How to effectively use grammar check for checking grammar and APA citation and formatting
The Grammarly service checks grammar but does not check your formating and citation style.
First, your formatting -- line spacings, margins, etc. -- are lost when you paste the text into Grammarly.
Second, the APA style is just one of several different styles in common use. Other popular academic styles are Chicago, Turabin, MLA, ACS, ASA, and AMA. While some elements are the same in each style, other elements -- especially the citation style -- are different. I imagine the software designers decided to not check for any style rather than try to check for all styles.
You may wish to check out www.citationmachine.net. This free site does not check your existing citations. Instead, it will help you generate the proper citation in a number of styles. Also, many university libraries have citation generators that are linked to the campus library catelog. Typically, these generators are available only inside the university's firewall.
|link comment||answered Oct 11 '12 at 04:40 Jeff Pribyl Grammarly Fellow|
My advice would be to address these issues separately. Concentrate first on the content and grammar, and later on the APA citation style and formatting requirements – the two areas do not really interact with each other.
APA style in terms of word usage, punctuation, and structure, etc. is another matter, however. You will need to be aware of these aspects as you are writing your paper.
|link comment||edited Oct 11 '12 at 07:46 Peter Guess Expert|
Effective Leadership and Qualities Paper
NURS 4550: Leadership and Management in health care system
Professor Stacey Knight, DNP, R.N.
Effective Leader Characteristics
The idea of leadership is different for different people around the world. The reason because everyone has a unique idea of what leadership is and what it should be
a. List and describe what you feel are the main characteristics of a highly effective leader.
According to me, a highly effective leader needs to have the following characteristic to be a true leader.
1) Creates a clear vision for the future:-A good leader’s vision needs to be ambitious still attainable. It needs to be rich, vivid and exciting so the team actually wants to go there with a leader.
2) Motivating and inspiring people:-Motivational leaders enjoy their work. They are always optimistic in their purpose. When there are challenges in their task, a motivational leader does not back down from it, but is willing to lead the way as an inspirational people.
3) A good communicator:-Being able to clearly describe what you want to be done is extremely important. A good communicator aims to make sure that their message is being understood.
4) Resourceful and well educated:-Knowledge is a key to success. An exceptional leader works to be well educated in policies, procedures, organizational norm act that will ultimately increase leader’s success in leading others. A leader must create access to information by asking questions if he/she does not know some important information.
5) Delegator and respectful:-Delegation should be made only to those who are qualified, and that requires proper identification of staff( Pape, 2012). An effective leader realizes that he/she cannot do all the work by her/himself. She knows the interest of others working with her and delegates the task accordingly
6) Caring individual:-An effective leader should show a caring attitude towards the organization, towards the each individual team member. A strong leadership can never take place without caring of their team members.
b. List and describe what you feel are the main characteristics of the worst leader.
Bad leadership is characterized by controlling the style of management, trying to be bossy, not excepting their mistakes, humiliating others, not empowering staff to succeed, yelling at staff, doing things that are self-serving, etc. The main characteristics of worse leader are as follow:
1) Lack of communication:-Communication is very importance when a person is working with a team. Poor communication can create misunderstanding and poor outcome of goals. Poor leaders do not value communication with their team. Spend a long time away from their desk and might ignore the staff emails or interrupt them while they are taking.
2) Too bossy:-I think, it is a common misconception that bossy people make good bosses. In fact, it is opposite. They are the one who are trying to control others, do not understand others feeling. True leaders have followers who want to be led by them.
3) Lack of Empathy:-Leaders must understand the problem of their team members faces. Bad leaders do not have empathy for others, they do not feel eh pain what their team members are feeling. Bad leaders are even not stepping up and help others when they really need it.
4) Lack of focus:-Leaders who are not intentional and not focused will ultimately fail themselves and their team. When they lose their focus they put themselves at risk as well as an organization at the greatest risk.
a. Considering the effective leader characteristics above, describe your greatest strengths.
Every leader has a particular style of leadership that is innate. My one of the greatest strength is that I am a very focused person. I know where I am going and I always have a strong mission to lead people on. When assigning task I considered people skills and interest. When someone is upset, I try to understand how he or she is feeling. I am a great believer in feedback. I always make sure what others opinions are. My another strength as a leader that I am very flexible to handle change. I am very optimistic, committed to my work and I am very confident which makes me an effective leader.
b. Considering the worst leader characteristics above, describe your greatest weaknesses.
I think my one of the greatest weakness as a worst leader is being too friendly. It makes it harder when team members take advantage of my relationship. I do need to learn to make the balance between being a friend and being a boss. I also think that my biggest weakness as a leader is, sometimes I am getting imbalance in-between result oriented leader vs relationship-oriented leader.
c. Provide an action plan for what you will do to remediate your top weaknesses.
I am constantly trying to adapt new behaviors on my weak side even at small levels to make significant improvements. To maintain balance in relationship-oriented leadership, I need to toughen up by conducting difficult conversation to keep the organization and individual teal members moving ahead towards successful execution. I also needed to plan what I am going to say and courageously delivered my message.
d. What resources or sources are available to you to help with this remediation?
My uncle who is a CEO of the one biggest steel company in Atlanta. He is my inspiration. If I have trouble in any situation he is the one that always helps me. So I think he is the first resource to reach for. In addition, I love reading the book. Recently I bought one of the books named,“Managing and Leading Well - It Ain't Rocket Science, But It's Still Hard Work!” by B. Dan Berger and Anthony W. Demangone. I think that will definitely help me to overcome my weakness as a leader.
3. Example of an Effective Leadership Scenario
I would like to give an example of our house supervisor. When we had only 3 nurses on the floor of general med-surge with having 21 patient and no extender to help nurses. I remembered we were short staff and on top of that we had one patient fall. We had so many patients with high acuity. I had 6 patients myself and most of all were incontinent. Nurses had to do all the work by themselves. According to fall policy, we called house supervisor to notify regarding an event. He came in and observed the situation and stayed on the floor to help us out. He was asking to each nurse that,“is there anything I can help you with?” He also brought lunch for everyone working on the floor. Some patient needed to be feed, he went in the room and helped patient feed. He also answered call lights helped the patients. According to me, he has a great flexibility as a true leader because he handled himself in unexpected condition and adjusted to the needs of the organization. He treated others with respect. He rewarded staff by bringing lunch for them. He took the initiative and worked as a motivator for a team.
He also maintained bed control by determining and verifying bed assignments while staying on the floor. He understood the staff and treat them accordingly. He was approachable enough that employee did not hesitate in approaching him with their problems and concerns. I think he is one of the greatest assets for our organization to have.
4. Example of an Ineffective Leadership Scenario
I would like to give an example of our Director of nursing(DON) in one of the nursing homes I worked for. I had PTO days that I never used it. I wanted to use my PTO for the preparation of my Exam at the university. I filled out the request form and submitted to him. He approved my PTO days. The day before my PTO starts he fired one of my co-workers for not responding to call lights as well as for being rude to extenders. Then he disapproved my PTO and want me to work. I said I cannot work because of my Exams. He said you will get fired if you do not appear to work. I think he was too bossy he fired a couple of nurse extenders, RN, and even our unit manager for not managing her unit properly. There are some others quit the job including me because of him. He was getting into everyone’s business. He was full of ego, pride, and arrogance which are not positive leadership traits of good leadership. In addition he had no self-control, he was disrespectful to the team member and poor role model for all of the employee.If someone holds a position of leadership, doesn’t necessarily mean they should. The problem many organizations are suffering from is a recognition problem – they can’t seem to recognize good leaders from bad ones(Myatt,2014). Ineffective leaders do not care about others like above example of DON, also has no self-control. Ineffective leaders do not know how to stay calm even in worse of conflicts.
American Psychological Association. (2010). Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (6th ed.). Washington D. C
Myatt, M. (2014). Retrieved November 29, 2015, from http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikemyatt/2012/10/18/15-ways-to-identify-bad-leaders/ Pape, T. (Producer) (2012). Leadership & management [Video]. Lamar University Dishman Department of Nursing.Delegation and Supervision Blackboard Course.
|link comment||answered Nov 29 '15 at 22:45 Radha Patel New member|
According to Abby Gillies, "Smoking significantly raises the level of dangerous air pollution in city streets, according to new research that has reignited the debate about banning cigarettes in public places. A five-week study by Otago University researchers in Wellington found cigarettes cause big increases in the number of dangerous fine particulates - airborne particles linked to heart disease, altered lung function and lung cancer." Are the animals affected by the inhalation of cigarette smoke? This question has baffled many of the fancier. Yes, cigarette smoke severely affects most species of animals, especially domestic animals. According to Jane Harrel, "Studies suggest that muzzle length plays a role in the type of cancer a dog is likely to develop from secondhand smoke. According to a survey of recent research on LiveScience.com, dogs with long muzzles are more likely to develop nose and sinus cancers, since their noses and sinuses have more surface area on which carcinogens can accumulate, while dogs with short and medium-length muzzles are more likely to develop lung cancer."
Gillies, A. (2012, July 9). Smoking increases pollution - study. Retrieved February 29, 2016, from http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10818387
Harrell, j. (n.d.). How cigarette smoke affects pets. Retrieved February 29, 2016, from https://www.petfinder.com/cats/cat-health/pets-and-second-hand-smoke/
|link comment||answered Mar 04 at 10:24 Entesar Saleh New member|
Hero of the day
Person voted on the most questions.