Please help me with vocab.


Does the word " electoral commission " means the place where you go to vote in the elections ?

2 answers


The answer may depend upon the polity being discussed.


In the United States, you go to vote in a "polling place." The Electoral Commission was a temporary body established by Congress to oversee the disputed Presidential election of 1876. Today, the Secretary of State of each state is responsible for election oversight and, in most states, the County Registar of Voters is delegated to manage the details of the election on a county-by-county basis.


Both the United Kingdom and Australia utilize Election Commissions to oversee elections. Other democracies may as well.

link comment edited Jun 19 '12 at 00:23 Jeff Pribyl Grammarly Fellow

No.  A commission is a government body.  In the US, you go to a "polling place" or "the polls."

link answered Jun 19 '12 at 00:28 Courtney Contributor

Be careful. In the United States, we have a tradition of bringing the election to the people by voting in neighborhood polling places -- often in churches, schools, fraternal halls, etc. However, in other countries, voters may be asked to go to a government building -- perhaps the offices of the Election Commission -- to vote. This may be especially true in emerging democracies that do not yet have a tradition of voting nor a infrastructure to facilitate voting.

Jeff PribylJun 19 '12 at 00:41

add comment

Your answer

Write at least 20 characters

Have a question about English grammar, style or vocabulary use? Ask now to get help from Grammarly experts for FREE.