"fiscal year ended" vs. "fiscal year ending"


Is there some rule about when to use "fiscal year ended 20XX," vs. "fiscal year ending 20XX?" Some people have told me that it all has to do with tense and that "ended" is for past and "ending is for future.  I've also seen "fiscal year ending" used in reference to past years and have been told that in those cases "ending" is a participle functioning as an adjectival clause.  Are both these explanations correct and can I use "fiscal year ending" as well as "fiscal year ended" interchangeably in reference to past as well as future years? I'm yearning to know the answer to this question. 

tense participles asked Jun 15 '12 at 00:55 TempleValleyX New member

1 answer


If you present it as a complete sentence, you write: The fiscal year ends or ended mm-dd-20xx. 

If you present as a part of a phrase, you write: for the fiscal year ending mm-dd-20xx.

If you present it as a part of a clause in reference to the past, you write: for the fiscal year that ended mm-dd-20xx.

I hope this helps.

link comment answered Sep 27 '12 at 08:24 yc lim New member

Your answer

Write at least 20 characters

Have a question about English grammar, style or vocabulary use? Ask now to get help from Grammarly experts for FREE.