Is there a simple rule for "the" article?
Some people, whose background has little to do with "germanic" languages, are usually prone to "article mistakes".
Is there any simple rule for defining where "the" article should go?
The definite article is used before singular and plural nouns when the noun is specific or particular. The signals that the noun is definite, that it refers to a particular member of a group. For example:
"The dog that bit me ran away." Here, we're talking about a specific dog, the dog that bit me.
|link comment||answered Nov 11 '10 at 14:51 firstname.lastname@example.org Contributor|
Valerie has given a good simple rule.
There are other details that can help you when that rule is unclear.
-/the - the zero article and the definite article
There are many rules for when to use the definite article, 'the'. In the following, I have written only the most general and functional rules. Specific rules for certain nouns are not included.
Use the definite article when:
1. a noun is defined by a phrase that follows it.
The car that we used last night. (Which car? The one we used last night.)
2. it is obvious from the context what is referred to. (Example needed.)
3. we mention the noun a second time or use a substitute noun.
There is a cat on the gate. The feline jumped down after a mouse. (Which feline? The cat which was on the gate.)
4. we refer to something unique (including superlatives).
This is the best coffee I've ever had! (Which coffee is it? The best.)
The President of the U.S.A. is Barack Obama. (a president is a unique person.)
Use the zero article/ don't use the definite article:
1. when we focus on the type of institution rather than a particular or specific building.
I went to university in Canada.
2. before plural nouns that are general, not specific.
I love cookies! BUT: I love the cookies you gave me!
3. before abstract nouns.
We have hope and preserverance.
|link comment||answered Jan 20 '11 at 09:34 Kimberly Expert|
"The" is a definite article, it is used as followings:
1. the+unique nouns
2. with nouns mentioned for the second time.
I have a car, the car is small but enough for me.
3. with modified nouns
the boy in black is my brother.
4. the+ a noun by the reason of locality can be represented a particular thing
the car in the garage.
5. the+ singular noun that represents the whole class of things
the lion is dangerouse.
the rich should help the poor.
7. with names of rivers, seas, groups od islands, chain of mountains, and plural names of counties
the dead sea
the united states
the united kingdom
8. with names of people which has a title
And zero article with proper nouns, abstract nouns, meals, names of games, parts of body or clothings, and locatives.
Kojin is a student.
Death is a real fact.
I have my breakfast at 8 am.
I like football.
Raise your hand.
I go home.
|link||edited Feb 18 '11 at 17:16 kojin Ismael New member|
Hero of the day
Person asked the most questions.