Anything that doesn’t directly refer to your thesis should be removed. Begin with any paragraphs or parts of paragraphs, and move down to the sentences.
- Supporting points which don’t really support the thesis
- Your own opinions (including any words like unfortunately or luckily)
- Anecdotes or extraneous examples
- True tangents, where you’ve gone off about something which seemed wildly important at the time but has little or no relevance to the text
- Next article Unnecessarily Repeated Supporting Points