Which one is correct?

The University of Colombo

University of Colombo

asked Nov 17 '12 at 07:31 Z. A. Jazley Contributor

3 answers


The rule is that if the university or college name has the word 'of' in it, you need to use 'The' at the front.  If the name doesn't have 'of' in it, then you don't use 'The'.




The University of Toronto

McGill University

The College of Arts and Sciences

City College


Hope this helps!

link comment answered Nov 17 '12 at 13:23 Shawn Mooney Expert

I googled 'University of Columbo'. 'The' doesn't seem to be part of the name, but they use the phrase 'the University of Colombo' in their text.

link comment edited Nov 17 '12 at 11:05 Lewis Neidhardt Grammarly Fellow

Shawn is almost correct. When the university name is used as a noun, Shawn's rule applies. But when the name is used as an adjective, the noun being modified determines whether the definite article is required.


The University of California boasts twenty-five Nobel laureates on its faculty.

A University of California faculty subcommittee will vote Tuesday on the Chancellor's latest proposal.

link comment answered Nov 17 '12 at 17:58 Jeff Pribyl Grammarly Fellow

Your answer

Write at least 20 characters

Have a question about English grammar, style or vocabulary use? Ask now to get help from Grammarly experts for FREE.