used to or Past Simple

0

Could  you  answer  me  ,  can  I  use   "used  to  look  ''  instead  of   "looked''  in  this  sentence ''When  I  was  small  I used  to  look forward  to  bedtime  because  I  knew   my  granny  would  read  an  unforgettable  fairy tale  to  me.''

asked Jul 18 '12 at 09:34 maia New member

2 answers


1

Used to describs an action or situation that was done repeatedly or existed for a period in the past.

The simple past refers to things that have already happened, and are finished doing their thing.

 

Now you decide if you can use ".....looked forward..."

link edited Jul 18 '12 at 11:05 Rahul Gupta Expert

Thanks a lot and this situation existed for a period in the past ,so maybe it is normal to use used to

maiaJul 18 '12 at 11:35

Thanks a lot and this situation existed for a period in the past ,so maybe it is normal to use used to

maiaJul 18 '12 at 11:35

add comment
1

Rahul got 90% of the answer, but the other 10% may affect your choice.

 

"Used to" -- refers to a past event, or events, that no longer occurs/occur in the present.  Rahul got that part.

 

The simple past refers to a past, completed event, or events. However, the simple past conveys no information about whether the event may reoccur in the present or future.

 

For continuing events, we use the perfect progressive form. The present perfect progressive is "have been looking". In this case, the event began in the past and continues into the present.

 

The past perfect progressive is "had been looking".

link comment answered Jul 18 '12 at 17:22 Jeff Pribyl Grammarly Fellow

Your answer


Write at least 20 characters

Have a question about English grammar, style or vocabulary use? Ask now to get help from Grammarly experts for FREE.