Grammar usage (flagged)


Does the word "standing instruction" exist or is it Indianism?

asked Apr 22 '13 at 17:01 Sanjay Expert

2 answers


It appears to be a British English phrase if you are referring to this type of regular payment from a bank account as explained by Wikipedia:  In Canada these are called automatic payments.

link comment answered Apr 22 '13 at 22:10 Shawn Mooney Expert

A similar phrase -- standing order or standing orders -- exists in both American and British English. It is used in military and parliamentary contexts to denote a rule or order held to be in force until specifically changed or withdrawn. 

link answered Apr 23 '13 at 03:56 Jeff Pribyl Grammarly Fellow

Been busy with several professional projects -- you know, making a living.

Jeff PribylApr 23 '13 at 19:59

add comment

Your answer

Write at least 20 characters

Have a question about English grammar, style or vocabulary use? Ask now to get help from Grammarly experts for FREE.