Verb forms used as other types of word


When a verb form such as a gerund is used as a noun, or an adjective or such as a past participle is used as an adjective like:


The dripping of the tap

The crying child

The newly promoted worker


is this conversion or just that the gerunds and participles have multiple roles?

2 answers


This is a great question!  Your last two example phrases definitely contain participial adjectives (crying and promoted), but I am less than 100% sure about the first one.  I am quite sure that dripping is a gerund here; for example The dripping of the tap annoyed him -  dripping is the subject of the sentence.  But if it were modified to read The dripping tap annoyed him, then dripping becomes a participial adjective.  I am reasonably confident that, as expressed in your example phrase, dripping is a gerund.  Here is a useful reference:  And perhaps other experts will weigh in here.

link answered Apr 16 '13 at 12:20 Shawn Mooney Expert

That's a great link, thank you. Any ideas whether this is conversion of a verb form?

Hannah MaceApr 16 '13 at 12:40

Yes, the verb drip is converted to a gerund (the dripping of the tap) or to a participial adjective (the dripping tap).

Shawn MooneyApr 16 '13 at 14:28

add comment

I agree with Shawn's analysis of  'dripping' being a gerund, as well as the rest of his answer.

link comment answered Apr 16 '13 at 13:44 Lewis Neidhardt Grammarly Fellow

Your answer

Write at least 20 characters

Have a question about English grammar, style or vocabulary use? Ask now to get help from Grammarly experts for FREE.